Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Who Is My Neighbor?


With last Sunday's sermon and Scripture still in my mind, I drove around Rossville, GA today looking for folks who might be out in the parks and need some cold water on this hot day.  Even though I have been in this appointment one year now, I still have lots of places to get to know in the three towns.

That became very obvious just now.

But, before I share that story, I will share that I was able to hand out one bottle of water to a woman at the park who was waiting to go to go her cleaning job. We spoke only briefly.

As I headed back to the office for a meeting, I noticed an "open" neon sign in English on the window in a building next to the church.  In Spanish were the letters "Salon de belleza". I had never noticed that before.
I parked the car and walked over. The front door was locked, but they motioned me around back.

When I went in, there was a guy signing in and another in one of the chairs. I started speaking Spanish with them immediately and explained I had just noticed the sign. I told the I was still getting to know the area after being here a year. I asked how long they had been in business here, right next to the church.  12 years was her reply. 12 years?!? Wow. I guess others in the community who learned I spoke Spanish hadn't noticed it either because nobody has told me about the Spanish shop next door. Now I know.  We spoke briefly.  I left a card and told her I would be back to talk more later.

What a pleasant surprise for me to find out today that a literal neighbor to Simpson UMC is a Spanish beauty shop.


I look forward to getting to know these neighbors.

Have you been surprised by anything in your journey recently?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

P.S. Here is an article I read about 25 Ways to be missional in your neighborhood. It can be applied to churches too, many of the ideas can be. Get creative and see what you can do in your unique situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment