Saturday, August 6, 2016

A dream deferred

Suzuki GS450
What do you do with dreams?

Sometimes you are able to live into them fully.  At other times you let them go or die, for one reason or another. A third option is to put the dream on hold, to defer it, until the timing is right.

One dream I am living into is writing. I started writing when I was about five years old.  There are other dreams that I am living into and will live into, but that isn't what this is about today.

I have let go of several dreams:  the dream to have a retreat center on the family Walker county farm property, the dream to be able to go back to taekwondo, and others.

Does it mean there will never be a retreat center where people gather for spiritual formation? No. Not necessarily. It just won't be that location. Will I stop doing martial arts? No. I just can no longer do taekwondo. My body needs tai chi at this time.

Paths change as life changes.

What about those deferred dreams?  One has to do with calling and the other became a spiritual disciplines for me. 

Hispanic ministry is part of my calling and has been since college. I am able to live into some through La Paz by volunteering. Who knows?!  And there is that salón de belleza near one of the three churches I need to get back to.... I don't know where I will end up or how I will end up using Spanish, but I know it is part of what I have been created to be. (I have had many opportunities in the past to live into this part of my being... Spanish VBS in Dayton, TN, mission trips to Costa Rica, Esperanza del Barrio, My Sister's House, etc. It is a dry season. Even so, God has reminded me of the calling and my equipping in various ways. I wait in faith for the next step of opportunity.)

The other dream deferred? A motorcycle. Yesterday I saw a Suzuki 450. Of course it was older. They don't make them anymore. I know than an older bike is not for me. That is why I let go of the 750 Yamaha. I had planned to get a 650 Suzuki until my hip started acting up again.  A 650 would be too big. The next option is a 250 Honda Rebel. I may go there. But not yet. I have to make sure that I can really still ride with the hip. 

I mentioned that riding became a spiritual disciplines for me. Being on two wheels with the wind beneath my wings was a way for me to connect with the Creator. It goes way back to my childhood days.  At the moment, it is a dream deferred. But, if I have to let it go, I will work through it, just as I did when I let the 750 Yamaha go.
Yamaha 750 Maxim
It broke down at bottom of neighborhood two years ago August, but I could still smile.
What dreams are you letting go? What dreams have you deferred? What dreams are you living into?

Blessings on your journey, 

Debra 

No comments:

Post a Comment