Friday, August 19, 2016

My abiding time this morning


This week has definitely been marked by "One Never Knows".  It has been a full week of adventure, ministry, unknown, ups and downs, ins and outs.  There hasn't really been any "bad"; it has just been busy. Many may ask how that is different from a "normal" week (or even day), but it just has been.  I can't fully explain it.

Yesterday I attended the Rossville Engage Prayer meeting and was blessed to pray again for the community of Rossville-- for its businesses, its schools, its churches, its people, etc.  What a wonderful time of prayer and worship.  It has been encouraging to see and hear things that are happening in Rossville.  The faith community continues to come together.  The Holy Spirit continues to do things beyond our imagination.

This morning, I knew in my spirit that I needed to take time to abide. I didn't get to right away this morning because it was my day to drive the kids.  [On a side note, I am super grateful for a neighborhood friend with whom our family shares carpool duties.  Her kids have been like my own since they moved into the neighborhood about 5 years ago.  I will miss them when they move at the end of the month.  Thankfully they will still be in the same area, but I will miss our spontaneous coffee and firepit moments as well as the carpool gig.]  After dropping of the kids at school, I went to the YMCA for a morning workout.

Now that I'm back at home, it's time for a fresh cup of coffee and time to abide.

Turning to Macrina Weiderkehr's Abide: Keeping Vigil with the Word of God, I find my place: Chapter 4-- "Don't Look Back", #6 "A Rule of Life"-- Philippians 4:4-9.

Philippians 4:4-9 (CEB):

"Be glad in the Lord always! Again I say, be glad! Let your gentleness show in your treatment of all people.  The Lord is near.  Don't be anxious about anything; rather bring up all of your requests to God in your prayers and petitions, along with giving thanks.  Then the peace of God that exceeds all understanding will keep your hearts and minds safe in Christ Jesus.  From now on, brothers and sisters, if anything is excellent and if anything is admirable, focus your thoughts on these things: all that is true, all that is holy, all that is just, all that is pure, all that is lovely, and all that is worthy of praise.  Practice these things: whatever you learned, received, heard, or saw in us.  The God of peace will be with you."

This Scripture passage has several things that speak to me this morning:

1. "Let your gentleness show in your treatment of all people." That's an "amen" and an "ouch" for me because there are moments and days when I do it well and other moments and days when I don't.  I am thankful for grace that covers the latter and for fresh opportunities.

2. God's peace does exceed all understanding and is that ever flowing calm river underneath the raging waters that are at times on top. When it's peaceful all over, then that's pretty awesome too, but to have an inner peace when things are hectic on the outside is pretty amazing.  It doesn't always happen, but when it does, I know and recognize that it is God's working in and through me.

3. Focusing my mind.  That can be a super challenge when there are trillions (exaggeration) of tasks on my mind, on hundreds (not so much of an exaggeration) of sticky notes, emails to respond to, folks to visit, call, etc.  However, it is my daily goal (and often moment by moment goal) to live my life open to God and say, 'what is it today, that you would have me do, have me be?'  As I ask that question daily, I often physically open my hands flat, palm up to signify my openness.  This may not fully clear my mind, but it helps me focus some and set those priorities.

Looking to Macrina's words, she talks about how Philippians 4:4-9 can serve as a rule of life.  Just a few things that stand out to me from her writing:

1.  from verse 4-- rejoice / joy (glad in the CEB)-- "Spend quality time with joy this week.  Even in the midst of the anxieties and struggles that beset you each day, get in touch with the joy that abides in those hidden places of your soul." (154)

Ah, the hidden places of my soul.... finding joy there and getting in touch with it sounds good.  That reminds me of the "Hidden Grace" post I wrote earlier this week.  There is hidden grace in us and in others too.  Getting in touch with these things is important.

2. from verse 5-- kindness--"Living lives attuned to the daily needs of others is a form of kindness that can lead us to the even deeper kindness of compassion." (154)

A possible breath prayer to help be more aware of opportunities to be kind to others might be: "Lord, God, show me practical ways to be kind to others this day." [Adapt it to how you address God and to your breathing pattern.]

3. from verse 6-- having no anxiety-- "Living the spiritual life requires a childlike trust in God." (155)

Replacing anxiety with trust is easier said than done.  The childlike part I can do.  It's that peace thing again.  When it's there, anxiety melts away.  Calm replaces fear and anxiety.  It takes letting go and leaning in.

4. also from verse 6-- a grateful heart, being thankful-- "A heart filled with awareness of reasons to be grateful is a superb guide for living." (155) "If we practice living with grateful hearts, we will become even more aware of daily blessings." (155)

What am I grateful for right now? What are you grateful for right now?  May our hearts become full of gratefulness.

5. from verse 7-- the peace of God-- "The peace of God standing guard at our hearts and minds is a comforting image-- an uplifting promise.  This promised peace will arrive at the door of our hearts if we are willing to practice the art of rejoicing always, trusting radically, living with grateful hearts, and letting our kindness overflow into the lives of others. Then comes the peace!" (156)

Putting this all together does become a great rule of life.  Spending time abiding in the Vine this morning has brought peace.

It's a daily walk, a daily adventure.

May you find joy (gladness), kindness, peace, gratefulness, and childlike trust on your path.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment