Thursday, August 18, 2016

Morning quiet times and throughout the day


Today's view from the deck.
My morning quiet times vary.  Sometimes I am able to spend anywhere from 10-20 minutes in centering prayer. Other times I spend time in Scripture reading and reflection. There are those mornings I read devotionals or books and reflect on what I read there.  Some days I drink my coffee, listen to the sounds of nature, and simply try to "be".  Yesterday my quiet time happened after I dropped off the kids to school.  I sat on a bench by the Chickamauga Lake at the boat launch by the dam watching the remainder of the sunrise.

Sunrise at Chickamauga Lake, 8/17/16
My morning quiet time varies depending on the day or the pulse check of my soul in the moment. The one thing I know for sure is that I need morning quiet time.  In fact, I need moments of quiet throughout the day.

When the day becomes hectic, it's time for a "pause" break.  Some silence, some quiet.  Though it's counter-intuitive, it is exactly what is needed for me.  A moment to recenter.  Granted, there are times and days when more than a moment is what is really desired or needed.  But that "moment" gives me what I need to keep going until I can take more time.

Breath prayers are a great "pause" break for me as are Ken Hagler's minute meditations.  Yesterday Ken posted a minute meditation that was timely for me as it has been a busy week.

It begins: "Quiet now... you will be."


"Fret not."  "Be still.  Wait.  Patience."  I needed that yesterday.  I need that today.  I need that everyday.  Fretting and anxiety become toxic.  Detoxifying is important.

This has been a busy week in ministry with several opportunities to wait on God, to be patient, to not fret, to watch God work.  It has also required some extra time and energy.  God has been faithful in it all.

I have to remember my part in being still, waiting, and being patient.  I have to remember to create space for God to fill my cup before I can create space for God to fill the cup of others.

Creating space.... that is another topic that will come out more fully one day..... :)

I am grateful for morning quiet times that allow me to to center myself, to be quiet with God, to "be still and know".

Peace on this day and blessings on your journey,

Debra

For more of Ken Hagler's Minute Meditations, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment