Thursday, August 25, 2016

Yesterday... gifts and blessings

Yesterday I blocked time for sermon reading, studying, and writing. Amazingly, I was able to spend several hours in that mode. That was good. The things prior and after were good too.

There were unexpected gifts in the day yesterday.

I went to the YMCA for a short workout, then to the Greenway for a short walk. This was my first walk with the hip unloader brace and I wasn't sure how much walking I could do. I was able to walk about a mile without pain.  There were some pretty flowers growing in the private garden and to the side of it.





From there I decided to pray the labyrinth at Burks UMC on my way home since I hadn't in awhile and that would prepare me for the rest of the morning.

There were two bunnies in the grass nearby for the majority of my time there.




After my prayer walk I popped into the church to greet the bible study folks. Perfect timing. It was good to greet, hug, and catch up briefly.

After my study time I went to Erlanger for a visit. I had not been to the new chapel yet, but went in after my visit. It is beautiful. (Here is a link to learn more about the chapel.)



On my way to the car, I found a dime, reminding me of Marcia's dime story. I know have a stack that I have found.

Lighting in parking garage wasn't good.
From the hospital I headed to one of the three churches for a meeting prior to Bible Study. At a red light a gentleman with a cardboard sign caught my attention. It read something to the effect of 'hungry veteran. Anything helps. Thank you.'  I rarely carry cash. I rarely have food with me. But, because I had rushed out of the office on Monday to go to the ER to meet someone, I had grabbed a few things. I still had a box of animal crackers. The ones with the cage décor.  I was hesitant. What if he only wanted money? What if he rejected my offer? Did he know about all the veteran services available? There isn't much time at a red light. One has to decide quickly whether to obey or not. I grabbed the box from the back seat and waved them in the windshield. He grinned real big and came to my car. I handed them to him through the passenger window, apologizing for not having more. His response? He said he loved these cookies, kept that huge grin, and walked away as the light turned green and I drove away. As I drove away, the song on the radio was "Jesus in disguise". Hmmm.




As I look back, yesterday was full of God moments for me. Times, spaces, and places in which God met me, blessed me, and even surprised me.

Many times it is not that God isn't there to meet me or reach me for those connections, but that I am not mindful or aware. Being more mindful and aware of the things and people around me helps. 

I don't always succeed in awareness or mindfulness. But I am blessed in those times when I do.

How about you?

Where have you seen God show up? Or, how has God blessed you?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment