Monday, July 16, 2012

Quiet Time--Lessons from a bookmark

Quiet time.  Ahh.... Just the thought of it sounds wonderful.  My quiet time isn't as lengthy some days as I may want or need, but I attempt to incorporate quiet time into my life.  Thankfully, I'm heading into a week in which I'll be able to have quite a bit of quiet time.  Academy #32, week/session #5, here I come.  You could add "ready or not" to that statement.  In some ways, I'm really ready... ready to be near the alligators again, to be with my covenant group and the rest of the folks of Academy #32.  Yet, I go with some sadness, because some folks won't be there this session nor in the future, and they will be missed greatly.  I go not so ready as well because I'm no way near to having read the required readings this time.  Spring semester with my courses was fairly intense and I didn't really get to start Academy reading until after the semester.  I'm also not 100% ready to learn what God might have for me this go around, but I am open.  And that's about all I can offer.

So, what's that about "quiet time"?  Oh, yeah..... I have a set of bookmarks that I picked up to give somebody sometime.  Don't know who; don't know when.  I looked at it again today and thought it would be something I might write about.  Thus the post.

Here is the bookmark:



In case it is difficult to read, I'll type out what it says:

"You can keep Christ at the center of your life by spending quiet time with Him.  This quiet time is an appointment you keep with Him daily.  Here are some suggestions for developing a consistent quiet time...

Priority-- Make this a priority in your day.  Select a time and a schedule around 15 minutes daily.

Preparation-- Find a place where you can be alone.  Have your materials together (Bible, journal, devotional book, prayer list, pen or pencil).

Plan-- Develop a plan that includes prayer, Bible study, and writing down your thoughts."

On the back on the bookmark is this Scripture from Hebrews 10:22-- "Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith..."

This is a Broadman Church Supplies bookmark, copyrighted 2008.


How is "quiet time" on your journey? 

~Debra ☺





No comments:

Post a Comment