Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A different kind of trust fund... reflections from Jesus Calling, January 10

As I read this morning's devotional in Jesus Calling, it struck me that this message gives new meaning to the term "trust fund".   The devotional doesn't even mention the term, but it came to mind as I read it because it calls us to trust in God.

Here are the opening lines: "Every time you affirm your trust in Me, you put a coin into My treasury.  Thus you build up equity in preparation for days of trouble." (Jesus Calling, Sarah Young, page 11.)

What a concept!  Thinking of building up trust equity in my trust fund in my relationship with Christ.  I've never thought about it that way before. 

The first two lines of the 2nd paragraph let us know how to assure we will have enough in our account: "Practice trusting Me during quiet days, when nothing much seems to be happening.  Then when storms come, your trust balance will be sufficient to see you through." (ibid)

By making regular deposits into our account, especially during the calmer moments of life, there will be a sufficient amount to see us through when we need it.  Notice that it doesn't say "if" storms come, but "when".   Because storms do and will come.  If, for some reasone, someone has told you that following Christ was going to be easy, that your life was going to be carefree from the moment you surrendered your control, you have been lied to.  Following Christ is probably the most difficult path I've traveled.  It's about dying to self, giving up control, putting others before myself, etc.  It has also been the most rewarding.  There have been lots of great experiences along the way.  Even the growing pains aren't so bad in the long run. 

Today's devotional reminds me of the Twila Paris song, "Do I Trust You, Lord?"  You Tube Link to "Do I Trust You, Lord?"

Sometimes my little heart can't understand
What's in Your will, what's in Your plan.
So many times I'm tempted to ask You why,
But I can never forget it for long.
Lord, what You do could not be wrong.
So I believe You, even when I must cry.
Do I trust You, Lord?
Does the river flow?
Do I trust You, Lord?
Does the north wind blow?
You can see my heart,
You can read my mind,
And You got to know
That I would rather die
Than to lose my faith
In the One I love.
Do I trust You, Lord?
Do I trust You?

I know the answers, I've given them all.
But suddenly now, I feel so small.
Shaken down to the cavity in my soul.
I know the doctrine and theology,
But right now they don't mean much to me.
This time there's only one thing I've got to know.

Do I trust You, Lord?
Does the robin sing?
Do I trust You, Lord?
Does it rain in spring?
You can see my heart,
You can read my mind,
And You got to know
That I would rather die
Than to lose my faith
In the One I love.
Do I trust You, Lord?
Do I trust You?

I will trust You, Lord, when I don't know why.
I will trust You, Lord, till the day I die.
I will trust You, Lord, when I'm blind with pain!
You were God before, and You'll never change.
I will trust You.
I will trust You.
I will trust You, Lord.
I will trust You.
As a physical, tangible, and visible way to see the trust fund lived out, I thought about setting aside a jar (or some sort of container) dedicated for "trust".  And every time I trust God, I can drop in a coin.  That way, I'll be able to see how my trust is coming along.  And, I can figure out something to do with the change later.  Of course, that's assuming I'll have some coins accumulated. 

How is your spiritual trust fund these days?  When the storm hits, will there be enough in your account to carry you through?  Maybe you'll try putting a coin in a container everytime you put your trust in God.

May your trust in the Lord grow daily as you journey,

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment