Thursday, January 5, 2012

Wilderness-- it's part of the journey

Today's theme at session #3 of the Academy: Wilderness.   This is a theme that grabs me for several reasons.  One, I enjoy hiking and being out in the wilderness.  Two, I've been there spiritually.  And, three, it is something to which I feel called.  What do I mean by this?  I have shared before about my insight from SoulFeast in the summer of 2010 and how I had the image of me being a guide leading people through the wilderness.  It resonates within me to be a part of people's lives in that way. 

During tonight's homily, some thoughts stood out to me: "In the wilderness God shapes the community."  That was the only one I think I quoted directly and correctly.  Other thoughts:  In leading people through the wilderness, someone has to be there to accompany them.  There is a deeper call to remain in the wilderness a little longer.  These were some of the thoughts that resonated within me, tying into thoughts I've had in the past.

At tonight's evening prayer, there was a song that we've sung before at some time from the Upper Room Worship Book: "The Summons".  It is by John L. Bell and was written in 1987.  It is found on page 60.

Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?
Will you let me love be shown, will you let my name be known,
will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?

Will you leave your self behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare should your life attract or scare?
and let me answer prayer in you and you in me?

Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?
Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?
Will you kiss the lepers clean, and do such as this unseen,
and admit to what I mean in you and you in me?

Will you love the "you" you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you've found to reshape the world around,
through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?

Lord, your summons echoes true when you but call my name.
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In your company I'll go where your love and footsteps show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's not a whole lot to say.  The song says it quite well.  The phrases that stick out the most to me are: come and follow me, leave your self behind, love the "you" you hide, go where you don't know, risk, use the faith you found to reshape the world, quell the fear inside and the entire response in stanza 5.

I'm still marinating and listening this week.  Today is really only day 2, though it feels like longer. ☺  So much information.   So much time to think and pray... and worship.   Time to be reminded of who God is, who I am, who I am meant to be. 

Jesus has been participating in worship and I'm sure I'll blog about that later.  in fact, I have a blog on marinating, part 2 to write as well.  But, I also need to get some sleep.

Tonight, one of the covenant groups had built a fire in the fire ring for their group time.  We were blessed to share in its beauty after night prayer time.  Fire is such a symbol, a sacrament even, for me (based on Leonardo Boff's definition ☺).  And, fire fits in with the wilderness theme. 

Rest.  It is time to rest.  Tomorrow is a new day.  Tomorrow is also Epiphany, Day of the Magi, the wise kings.  I wonder if they will show up here??? 

May the Lord bless you on your journey and may you respond when you hear your name called.

~Debra

P.S.  So, far, I have not been blessed to see any alligators.  I guess it is too cold for them this time.  Maybe they are wandering in some other wilderness at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment