Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Kingdom Hiking...reflections from Jesus Calling, January 18

If you're not a hiker, you might prefer the image of walking.  But, since I enjoy hiking, my thoughts went to hiking, so that is where I'm going to "camp out" for a while. ☺

Living out the faith journey in the kingdom is much like hiking to me.  And, this morning, as I read the devotion from Jesus Calling, I pictured several hiking trails and portions within them.  There are times when I hike a path that is flat and lined with pine trees that have provided a bed of pine needles on which my feet can softly trod.  At other times I find myself going up or down rocks, some of them shifting out of place.  There are places along the journey in which I come upon a waterfall or a pool of water at which I might take a moment's rest (or longer).  There are overlooks and views of the mountains and valleys.  From deep within the woods, sometimes the only clear thing that I can see is when I look up through the trees and see the sky.

These thoughts flashed through my mind this morning as I mentioned when I read the devotion for January 18 in Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.  Even though there are some thoughts from earlier in the week that I've been chewing on, I'll start today with sharing this devotion.

"I AM LEADING YOU ALONG THE HIGH ROAD, but there are descents as well as ascents.  In the distance you see snow-covered peaks glistening in brilliant sunlight.  Your longing to reach those peaks is good, but you must not take shortcuts.  Your assignment is to follow Me, allowing me to direct your path.  Let the heights beckon you onward, but stay close to Me.
     Learn to trust Me when things go "wrong."  Disruptions to your routine highlight your dependence on Me.  Trusting acceptance of trials brings blessings that far outweigh them all.  Walk hand in hand with Me through this day.  I have lovingly planned every inch of the way.  Trust does not falter when the path becomes rocky and steep.  Breathe deep draughts of My Presence, and hold tightly to My hand.  Together we can make it!" (page 19)

Scripture references: John 21:19; 2 Corinthians 4:17; Habakkuk 3:19

These words resonate for my own faith journey and for the journey of others around me.  It is a good reminder that there will be uphill climbs as well as downward paths and that those are part of the path.  Additionally, shortcuts must not be taken.  That is a very important reminder!  On hiking trails, shortcuts can do damage, causing erosion and destroying plants.  On the spiritual journey, shortcuts can also cause damage.  They are not worth it.  It is worth staying the path, allowing God to direct and guide.

Some parts of the path are more easily traveled than others, both physically and spiritually.  Rest, nourishment, and hydration are vital.

How is your journey going?  Is the path becoming difficult?  Are you tempted to take a shortcut?  Take time out for rest, nourishment, and hydration.  Drink from the Living Water.  Recognize that even through the ups and downs, you are not alone.  Remember that God often sends hiking buddies your way too.

When you get to the overlook, enjoy the view! 

Happy faith hiking,

~Debra

2 comments:

  1. Come to Grand Lake, Colorado, some summer, and I'll show you an incredible hike with amazing vistas! Nice post, Debra. Keep on hikin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan David! It has been WAY too long since I've been to CO or since I've done any hiking there. The fam. would love it! And, thanks for the words of encouragement and motivation. ☺

      Delete