Sunday, January 1, 2012

Jesus Calling--January 1, 2012

Another morning of reading something that hit me square on, causing me to think and reflect.  Here is today's devotion from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young:

"Come to Me with a teachable spirit, eager to be changed.  A close walk with Me is a life of continual newness.  Do not cling to old ways as you step into a new year.  Instead, seek My face with an open mind, knowing that your journey with Me involves being transformed by the renewing of your mind.  As you focus your thoughts on Me, be aware that I am fully attentive to you.  I see you with a steady eye, because My attention span is infinite.  I know and understand you completely; My thoughts embrace you in everlasting Love.  I also know the plans I have for you; plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Give yourself fully to this adventure of increasing attentiveness to My Presence." (page 2)

The Scripture verses for today: Romans 12:2 and Jeremiah 29:11.

When I read this, there were words and phrases that stood out to me:.  Among them are: "teachable spirit", "continual newness", "open mind", "journey", "adventure".  Then I decided to go back through the devotion and write out in outline form what was "me" and what was "God".  I know, geeky, but it was what I felt like doing.

Here is my chart:

    ME                                                    GOD
--teachable spirit                               --fully attentive to me
--open mind                                      --knows and understands me completely
--eager to be changed                       --offers continual newness
--given fully to the adventure           --embraces me in everlasting love
--do not cling to old ways                --God has plans for me
--increasing attentiveness to God's presence
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't always live into the things on my side of the chart, but they are things that resonate within my heart, mind, and soul.  They are things I desire and hope to be living out as I journey on this great adventure.  On God's side of the chart, I'm certain that God does live into those.  There may be times of doubt and uncertainty on my part, but that's okay... that's part of the journey too!

An appropriate and thought-provoking devotion to start off the new year!

What words or phrases stand out to you in today's devotion by Sarah Young? 

I hope that I will be able to 'give myself fully to this adventure of increasing attentiveness to God's presence.'  What about you?

Blessings on your journey,

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment