Friday, January 20, 2012

Holding On by Letting Go...

Earlier this month, there were some thoughts in two different devotions that stood out to me.  I've been chewing on them for a while.

Add to that a conversation with a friend about a week ago in which she shared that her daughter (Summer Grace) sang a song, "Holding On" by Jamie Grace at their church (Hopewell Baptist).  The background story to the daughter singing was pretty neat because it was her mom who was supposed to sing, but couldn't come up with anything.  The demands of work and life had taken their toll over the weeks and there was nothing really coming through to sing.  Then, the daughter tells the Mom: "I have something I could sing."  She shares the song with Mom and Mom is touched.  Wow!   It ministered to her as she heard her daughter share.... and then on Sunday, it ministered to many in the congregation as the daughter shared. 

Here is a link to listen to the daughter sing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX6dR9LKlbQ

On one of the youtube links of a music video with this song, there is this Scripture reference: "As for you, be strong and do not give up, for your hard work will be rewarded." -2 Chronicles 15:7

Here are the lyrics to "Holding On" by Jamie Grace:

All the signs of life
They're all around me with every heartbeat
I feel so alive,
I am joy and sadness,
Peace and madness
If only I can fight just a little longer
I know It's gonna make me stronger

[Chorus:]
I just keep holding on to what I believe
Oh, I believe in you
Give me the strength to fight
And the heart to believe
When it's hard to believe in you

Oh and these are the times when doubt's tryin' to creep in
And I need a reason that's larger than life when hope seems hard to find
If only I can fight just a little longer
I know it's gonna make me stronger

[Chorus:]
So I just keep holding on to what I believe
Oh, I believe in you
Give me the strength to fight
And a heart to believe
When it's hard to believe
I'll just keep holding on, holding on, holding on
Give me the strength to fight
And the heart to believe
When it's hard to believe in you
Oh oh oh oh oh
When it's hard to believe in you
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh, I wanna believe

If only I can fight just a little longer
I know I'll be stronger

[Chorus:]
So I'll just keep holding on, holding on, holding on
I'll just keep holding on, holding on
I'll just keep holding on to what I believe
Oh, I believe in you
Give me the strength for the fight
And the heart to believe
Cause I've got to believe
I'll just keep holding on, holding on, holding on
Give me strength for the fight
And the heart to believe
'Cause I've got to believe in you
Oh oh oh oh oh
Yeah I've got to believe in you
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh, yeah I feel so alive.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, sometimes we hold on.  In fact, I like the statement:  When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and swing!  Making the most of the situation!  Yet, sometimes we need to let go.  And by letting go, we can still be holding on.

From the January 11 devotion in Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, the first line is: "TRUST ME by relinquishing control into My hands." (12)  That is a perfect example of holding on by letting go.  When we relinquish control to God, we are not holding the control, yet we are holding on still to God. 

In the January 12 devotion, "control" shows up in a different way: "You would like to see a map, showing all the twists and turns of your journey.  You'd feel more prepared if you could somehow visualize what is on the road ahead.  However, there is a better way to be prepared for whatever you will encounter today:  Spend quality time with Me." (13)  As I think about that, it strikes deep.  There are many days that I would like to see the map.  Yet, I think I'd be scared off the path by some of those twists and turns.  Odd that we continue to think that seeing will make us feel more prepared, when in reality, preparedness is in our relationship.  That was an "ouch!"

The devotion goes on: "I will not show you what is on the road ahead, but I will thoroughly equip you for the journey."  Whew!  At  least I won't be scared off by things for which I'm not ready yet.  And, it is comforting to know that I will be equipped.

The January 12 entry ends with: "My abiding Presence is the best road map available."

So, if I'm going to hold on to something, I hope I will hold on to the road map of Christ's abiding Presence.

Press onward in your journey,
May you have the strength to keep on going, to hold on, and to let go!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment