Saturday, January 28, 2012

This journey continues to be an adventure...

Ever since I started the journey of blogging my spiritual journey and entitled my blog with the words "The Journey is an Adventure", my eyes and ears have been more attentive to the words "journey" and "adventure".  In books that I am reading, devotions, in meetings, in class discussions, etc. 

The term "journey" for the spiritual journey is not new.  It has been around for centuries.  I researched that at one time, but now as I attempt to recall that exact information, I forget its origin.  Maybe I should take a moment and search.

The term "journey" comes from the Old French journée.  French is part of my heritage and one of my languages, so this is pretty neat.  Here is the entire entry I found at dictionary.reference.com: "early 13c., "a defined course of traveling," from O.Fr. journée "day's work or travel," from V.L. diurnum "day," noun use of neut. of L. diurnus "of one day" (see diurnal). As recently as Johnson (1755) the primary sense was still "the travel of a day." The verb is from early 14c. Journeyman (early 15c.), "one who works by day," preserves the etymological sense. Its Amer.Eng. colloquial shortening jour (adj.) is attested from 1835."

Examples of journeys date back to Biblical times as Abraham took a journey, as did the Israelites, Joseph and Mary, and many others through the years. But, I digress on my original thoughts for "journey" and "adventure". ☺

These days, "faith journey", "journey of faith" are common terms once again to describe the spiritual path of growth.

It has resonated with me, as has the fact that it is an adventure.  It could be that seeing it as an adventure is a choice, that at times it doesn't quite match what an "adventure" might feel or look like.  Yet, that choice tends to pull me out of quick sand traps or bottomless pits.  So, it's a choice I will continue to make.

 A couple of weeks back, the daily devotional in Jesus Calling caught my attention on both levels of "journey" and "adventure".  Due to lack of time to think and write (otherwise said: due to keeping plates spinning and balls juggling), I haven't been able to put down the thoughts.... until today.

And, "today" turned in to "tomorrow", which is now today.  The Jesus Calling devotional that struck me was from January 13.  The very first line: "Try to view each day as an adventure, carefully planned out by your Guide." (14)  That was good right there.  It caught my attention and it resonated deep within.  This is how I'm trying to live my life: daily seeing it as an adventure, recognizing and trusting that my Guide has planned things out.  Further on in the devotion: "A thankful, trusting attitude helps you to see events in your life from My perspective."  (14)  Good point, good teaching.  Something I don't always live out the first few moments in situations.

The final portion of the devotional, the last paragraph was full of things that got my attention: "A life lived close to Me will never be dull or predictable.  Expect each day to contain surprises!  Resist your tendency to search for the easiest route through the day.  Be willing to follow wherever I lead.  No matter how steep or treacherous the path before you, the safest place to be is by My side." (14)

The journey is definitely not dull or predictable.  There are definitely surprises.  And, the surprises aren't always easy or happy ones.  Yet, I am challenged to not seek out the easiest route.  And, I am asked to be willing to follow wherever God leads.  Whew.  Those are tough assignments. 

So, the journey continues to be an adventure for me.  It is one in which I continue to learn more about myself and more about my Creator.  I am truly blessed by the many experiences I have already had on the journey-- the people I have met, the places I have been, the things I've done. 

I will continue to trust the Guide and journey onward on the path!

How is it going on your journey? 

Blessings on your journey! 

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment