Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Re-adjusting my daily rhythm... pace and trust

The rhythm of an Academy is such that there is time for silence, solitude, reflection, worship, and community daily.  When I come back from a week of this, it takes me a little time to re-adjust to my normal routine.  I'd better write, "normal".  The only normalcy about it is the hours around the school bus.  The rest can be unpredictable, though I do keep a calendar and schedule as much as possible.  Why?  Because of all the spinning plates. ☺  At the same time, I attempt to maintain ample time for silence and solitude.  Without it, I have learned, I become detached from my source, antsy, and can be a "grumpy bear".  

An older gentleman whom I admire greatly, referred to me as a grumpy bear (he was kind about it) yesterday in reference to a note I had sent out.  I had not intended the words to come across grumpy at all, but rather I was asking for more head-up time in advance in the future for things.  When I checked my box at work, there was a little bear with honey in it.... I wonder if someone else thought I was being a grumpy bear too????

My tendency is to set a fairly quick pace for myself and run it.  Look back at that sentence at my possessive adjective "my" and then "myself".  That's not necessarily a bad thing, yet if I am allowing God to control my days, that means my pace and my scheduling too.  I do try.  I just tend to run ahead of God at times.

The reason this is on my mind so much is that THE DAY AFTER I get back from the Academy, my devotion was about this.  It has taken me some days to reflect on it, to soak it in.  On January 9 in Jesus Calling, Sarah Young's devotion reads (in parts): "I AM WITH YOU AND FOR YOU.  When you decide on a course of action that is in line with My will, nothing in heaven or on earth can stop you.  You may encounter many obstacles as you move toward your goal, but don't be discouraged--never give up! [...] Do not expect an easy path as you journey hand in hand with Me, but do remember that I, your very-present Helper, am omnipotent.  Much, much stress results from your wanting to make things happen before their times have come. [...] Instead of dashing headlong toward your goal, let Me set the pace.  Slow down, and enjoy the journey in My Presence." (10)

OUCH!  And, AMEN!  Thankfully, I've been learning over the past, uh, MANY years to slow down and allow God to set the pace and allow myself to ENJOY the journey.  However, there are still days and times when I get anxious and struggle with allowing God to keep setting the pace.  This is a tremendous reminder for me. 

The bottom line is about trust.  Trusting that God has really heard me and that God cares and has a plan for me.  The first line for January 11 Jesus Calling reads: "TRUST ME by relinquishing control into My hands." (12) You see?  Trust.  It's not as fun and as simple as dropping a coin into a jar and thinking 'yep, I trust God.'  I actually have to follow through and relinquish control into God's hands.  Whew!  That's a tad more difficult. ☺

In the second paragraph, there is something that will help me though.  It will help me both allow God to set the pace and allow God to keep control.  After I have brought my prayer requests before God, my response is to be this: "...thank Me for the answers that I set into motion long before you can discern results.  When your requests come to mind again, continue to thank Me for the answers that are on the way." (12)

So, on this journey, I'm attempting to allow God to set the pace, to remember to thank God for the answers to prayers that are already set in motion, and hopefully I won't be a grumpy bear. ☺

How is your trust and your pace setting?  Who is in control of those things on your journey? 

May we continue to learn and grow as we travel, and may we slow down sufficiently to enjoy the journey!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment