Friday, January 13, 2012

The Path of Silence at the Life Enrichment Retreat Center

I found something new this time while I was at the Academy, which is held at the Life Enrichment Retreat Center in Fruitland Park, FL.  I found the Nature Trail and the Path of Silence. 


This was the 3rd session/week for our Academy, yet I hadn't yet found these gems.  The Path of Silence was especially good.  I ended up walking it during the reflection time after the morning session several times. 

The first time I walked it I noticed the first wooden post with a Scripture engraved in it. 


And, at the end of the path, I saw one next to the wooden cross.  There was also a bench there.  You could look into the woods or out toward the waters of Lake Griffin. 



As I sat there the first day, some squirrels were playing in the trees.  They started chattering to one another rather loudly.  I had never heard squirrels chatter so loudly before.  Even with their chattering, it was a good place to reflect and write.


The next time that I walked it, I heard a noise in the woods and stopped to listen.  I saw a grey small figure in the brush.  I realized it was a coyote and I readied my camera for a shot when it came into a clearer spot.  However, when it did, it saw me and took off.  After it took off, I noticed that I was standing next to another Scripture post hidden by vines.  I uncovered it.

The third time that I walked it, there was a fisherman in his boat off the foggy shore.  I saw ducks each day and marveled in the beauty of the woods.



The Path of Silence is a great place for reflection on the beauty of creation, the Creator, and that which is going on inside one's heart, mind, and soul.

I thought about the woodsy area behind our church, near the new labryinth that has been recently finished, and I wondered.... is there a space for a "Path of Silence" there?  A space to wander, to meander, to ponder over Scripture, to sit and reflect.  Hmmm....  Maybe that is something to check into...

May there be a path of silence on your journey,

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment