Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Breaking through the darkness...

Darkness happens.  It happens daily physically.  It can happen emotionally and spiritually.  It comes about for different reasons and sometimes stays longer than we would like it to.  Yet, the dawn does come again.  Last week I read a devotion in Abide: Keeping Vigil with the Word of God by Macrina Wiederkehr that talked about darkness and the light breaking through.  The Scripture reference was John 21:1-14.  The author had written an interpretation, allowing John's words to be more personal.  It's on page 27 if you're interested in checking it out.  John and the others were in deep darkness.  The day began to dawn and not only did they begin to see physical light, but there was a breakthrough spiritually and emotionally for them as they recognized the Lord.

One of the questions Macrina offers for reflection is this: "What present darkness in your life most needs to be blessed with the light of resurrection?  Envision the light of dawn breaking into that darkness." (29)

There is a poem at the end of the chapter (29-30).  Or a prayer.  Or both.  I believe it is written by Macrina Wiederkehr because no other credit is given.

O Risen Christ,
When I search for you in the darkness
    Show me the light of your face.
When my darkness is too heavy
    Send me the dawn.
When I am dejected because of your absence
    Remind me to share my presence with someone.
When I am hungry for nourishment
    Invite me to breakfast.
When I cast my nets on the wrong side of life
    Come to my assistance.
When I do not recognize you
    Call me by name.

Are you experiencing darkness on your journey?  If so, may the words from John and Macrina be used to bring some light into that darkness.  Don't fear the darkness because there is growth that takes place there.  Much like the growth that takes place in the dark cocoon or in the dark soil.  Growth that we don't even see.  Yet, be aware that the light will come again!

Blessings through the darkness!  May you sense that you are not alone.

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment