Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wearing Christ...being clothed in the power from on high

To wear Christ, to put on Christ, to be clothed with Christ.... what does this mean metaphorically? 

On Sunday, the expression "clothed in power" came up in the sermon and in the Scripture for the sermon.  Luke 24:49: "I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”  This past Sunday was Pentecost Sunday, so this power from on high is referring to Holy Spirit power.

Here is another Scriptural reference to being clothed in the metaphorical sense, this time with Christ:

Galatians 3:27-- "for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ."

The clothing with the power on high might have slipped by me after Sunday's sermon if it weren't for the devotional for the same day, May 27, in Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.

Here is that devotional:

"SEEK MY FACE at the beginning of your day.  This practice enables you to "put Me on" and "wear Me" throughout the day.  Most people put on clothes soon after arising from bed.  Similarly, the sooner you "put Me on" by communicating with Me, the better prepared you are for whatever comes your way.
     To "wear Me" is essentially to have My mind: to think my thoughts.  Ask the Holy Spirit to control your thinking; be transformed by this renewal within you.  Thus you are well equipped to face whatever people and situations I bring your way.  Clothing your mind in Me is your best preparation for each day.  This discipline brings Joy and Peace to you and those around you."  (page 154)

The Scripture references for this particular devotion are: Psalm 27:8; Romans 13:14; and Colossians 3:12.

I figured if I heard and read about "being clothed" twice in one day, then I might should stop, look, and listen. ☺ 

However, my brain doesn't always flow normally and as I was reflecting, the only thing that would come to mind at first was the line from a song from the 1980s that says: "take on me, take me on".  I can hear the line in my head.... I can even hear the music in my head, but I couldn't tell you the artist.  I remember it from working out in the gym during my college years.

Hurray for the computer.... and an A-HA moment, literally.  ☺  The group's name is "A-ha", a Norwegian pop band.  It was recorded in 1984 and released in 1985.

The lyrics:

We're talking away
I don't know what
I'm to say I'll say it anyway
Today's another day to find you
Shying away
I'll be coming for your love, OK?

[Chorus]
Take on me, take me on
I'll be gone
In a day or two

So needless to say
I'm odds and ends
I'll be stumbling away
Slowly learning that life is OK
Say after me
It's no better to be safe than sorry

[Chorus]

Oh the things that you say
Is it live or
Just to play my worries away
You're all the things I've got to remember
You're shying away
I'll be coming for you anyway

Click here to listen and watch a video.  It's mostly a black and white cartoon video.

So, random brain waves from the 1980s cause me to travel back in time.  I don't know if I want to "take on Christ", I think I'll work on the "putting on" right now.... though I will admit to being stubborn and arguing and wrestling from time to time.... but that's another blog.  Maybe.

Back to the devotional.... after the random thoughts from the 1980s, the statement about putting on clothes and comparing that with putting on Christ by communicating with Christ was good.  That reminded me of Ephesians and the armor of God.   I wear clothes daily.  I don't always take the time to daily put on my armor or even start my day with conversation in Christ.  Some days my conversation with God, Christ, and Holy Spirit happens at a later point in the day.  To attempt to do that earlier in the day could feasibly save me some trials and tribulations, or at least some headaches. ☺  Some days are better than others.  And, thankfully, there is always grace.

Another line that caught my attention was this one: "Clothing your mind in Me is your best preparation for each day."  Simple, but true.  Good stuff.

As I consider what it means to clothe myself with "power from on high" and/or "with Christ", I realize that what I am clothing myself with are the characteristics of Christ.  That's not a bad way to be dressed daily.

Are you clothed in the power from on high?

Blessings on your journey!

~Debra


No comments:

Post a Comment