Sunday, May 13, 2012

Here we are... a poem by Nancy Bieber

Poetry is becoming more and more a part of my spiritual journey.  It's not too much of a surprise.... it was part of my life once before.  I have journals with some pieces that I've written.  At session #2 of the Academy I was exposed to quite a bit of poetry and I've even taught a class at church on spiritual formation using poetry (and hope to do more in the future).  [This is out of my league, but when you use good poetry, it practically guides itself and as facilitator, I just get out of the way. ☺]

Tonight I started reading one of the books for the upcoming Academy session in July: Decision Making and Spiritual Discernment: The Sacred Art of Finding Your Way by Nancy L. Bieber.

There are quite a few nuggets in the introduction, but what I want to share tonight is this poem by the author (found on page 12):

Here we are, Loving One, Mystery, Light,
beginning to quiet ourselves,
beginning to be still;

remembering you created us
to flourish in your love,
remembering an old desire to grow in you.

We long to be more than we are living now,
we long to live all we can become
but, fearful, wonder how we can.

We try to choose the best and truest path
but stumble in our living and in our choosing.
We want to handle things ourselves;
we'd rather make it on our own,
and besides,
trusting you, God, can be very hard.

But we need more light, your Light
to see the ways ahead,
we need more wisdom, yours, to choose
the way that's well for us.

Here we are, beginning willingness,
beginning to trust, to open ourselves,
our lives and our decisions
to your illuminating Light.

Here we are, Loving One, ready to begin.

What in this poem speaks to you?  What word(s) stand out?  Read it over a time or two, allowing the words to soak in.  What response do you have to this poem?

I think this book is going to be another adventurous aspect on my journey.  I'm definitely ready to begin!

Blessings on your adventurous journey!

~Debra ☺


No comments:

Post a Comment