Monday, May 21, 2012

O Heart, like a closed flower bud... Hafez



"O heart, like a closed flower bud, don't complain; dawn wind brings the breeze to open your knot." Hafez

This was on the Shalem Institute Facebook page the other day.  This quote met me square in the face and gave me something to think about.  They had a pretty picture with it too.  Maybe I'll find one of my flower pictures in my files to go along with the quote.  We'll see.

Hafez was a Persian lyric poet.  I have seen the name before, but I haven't really known who he was.  So I took a few minutes to look him up.  He was a mystic-poet philosopher of the 14th century.  Sometimes his name is spelled Hafiz.  His lifespan was from 1319-1389.   A good biography can be found at the website Iranchamber.com.

You may know the Persian language.  If so, you may be interested to read and listen to the poems from this website: FaleHafez.com.

There are days when my heart is closed. There are days when I complain. There are days when I need desperately the dawn wind to bring the breeze to open my knot. What about you?

May the dawn wind bring the breeze when it is needed on your journey,

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment