Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Weakness.... not something I used to like to think about...

When you think of the word "weak", what comes to mind?  I used to think that was a 4-letter word, if you get my drift. ☺  As I've grown in my spiritual journey, I've come to learn that "weak" or "weakness" can really be "strength", if my perspective is God-centered and not self or even what others-think centered.

Knowing this and living into this are not always the same thing.  Having to deal with anemia (another round recently), frozen shoulders, and other off and on health issues has reminded me of my human physical weaknesses.  I have thus needed to rely on God and others in community for strength--physically, emotionally, and spiritually.  This is very humbling for a "strong" person.... to let go and allow others in.  I have learned.  I am learning.

Yet, there are days and times that the weakness of strength or something else can be overwhelming and I wonder why must I have to deal with this?!?!?

Yesterday, I read a devotional in Jesus Calling by Sarah Young that touched on the answer.  The devotion from May 14 said "Your weakness is designed to open you up to My Power.  Therefore, do not fear your limitations or measure the day's demands against your strength.  What I require of you is to stay connected to Me, living in trusting dependence on My limitless resources." (141)

A-ha!  Light bulb moment!  My weakness opens me up to God's power.  That's awesome.  Yet, like the song "Strong Enough".... sometimes I don't want that kind of strength and power if it takes going through the tough times.  HOWEVER, I have grown through each and every tough time, so I can say it is worth it!

Words that stick out.... "stay connected", "trusting dependence", "limitless resources".

Further in the devotion, the last paragraph in fact, I read: "I am not a careless God.  When I allow difficulties to come into your life, I equip you fully to handle them. Relax in My Presence, trusting in My Strength."

OUCH!  I felt a little backlash on that first sentence, as if I was accused of thinking God was careless.  Uh...... I'm probably guilty of that.  I won't ask about you.  Sometimes I wonder, you know.  I forget that I can go to my Source of Strength.  I forget to trust and relax.  Those are not easy things to do when going through difficult times.  Yet, that is what I'm called to do, if I am truly living in relationship with God. 

There was another section in the devotion about facing unexpected demands and not needing to panic because we can remember that God is with us.  I admit that I can be slow to remember that at times.  It takes intentionality and focus.

At the bottom of this devotion, I wrote these words: "Weakness of any kinds is difficult for "strong" people.  It is in "letting go" of how we see strong/weak and allowing God to be in control that we begin to learn that strength is in surrender and dependence."

As I think about my life, as I think about others I know and their lives and circumstances, I am encouraged to be reminded that it is okay to allow the weakness to be part of the journey.  By allowing it to be what it is, then I can focus on God as my strength and allow the difficulties to help me grow.

What difficulties are you facing in your journey these days?

What weakness(es) are pulling you down?

Surrender them to God and relax in God's presence as you walk in trusting obedience with the One who will give you strength!

Blessings on your journey!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment