Sunday, May 20, 2012

the butterfly effect of Grace...


In researching for an upcoming sermon, I came across a book by rex g. russell, the butterfly effect of Grace (Xulon Press: 2011).  The short (133 pages) book contains 12 chapters of thought-provoking, heart touching, challenging stories.  Each themed chapter has a quote and a Scripture verse in the beginning.  The entire book is built around the main point Rex desires to get across to all of us: we matter to God.  Rex has a message for each of us that he has shared throughout his life as a teacher and throughout this book: "Nothing you will ever do or ever have done, good or bad, will ever cause the heart of God to love you any more or less than He does right now; you don't have to run to or from Him; just stand still." (32)

I agree with the foreword by Bubba Thurman when he states that "Rex Russell is a great story teller." (xiii)  These stories by Rex engaged me, encouraged me, challenged me.  There were moments of laughter, tears, words that resonated within.  

Chapter 10 spoke to me as a breath of fresh air because it shared a story that showed grace and freedom in a powerful, life-giving, yet simple way that not many dare risk these days.  The first two lines of the chapter caught my attention immediately: "I am adding this chapter because I am a bit of a rebel.  I really enjoy when someone colors outside the lines and gets results." (106)

"Connecting the dots to God"..... that is a phrase throughout the book... and is the title phrase, "the butterfly effect of grace". 

Rex informs us in the preface that "the seemingly insignificant encounters we have every day do matter." (xx)

I encourage and challenge you to check out this little book.  It may look small, but it is jam-packed.  As you read it, you will be be impacted by grace and your eyes will open to how you can be a connector for others on their journey.

Know that you are loved by God.

Know that you make a difference in the lives of those around you.

Blessings on your journey as you continue to learn and grow,

~Debra

P.S.  If interested, Click HERE for a website for the book and HERE for a facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment