Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Clergy registration in the mail for annual conference... what's up with that?

On May 11th I went before the SPRC (Staff Parish) as one of the final steps toward continuing on the ordination journey (if there is ever such a thing as "final steps").  Then, on May 17th, I received a packet in the mail from the Holston Conference for the upcoming Annual Conference in June.  I'm not a delegate this year, so I'm wondering what this is about as it clearly says on the envelope, "IMPORTANT!  Annual Conference Materials Enclosed".

So, I open the envelope and pull out this registration card.  Take a look at it for yourself:

GULP!  That was my initial reaction.  Other reactions?  Shock, surprise, thinking-- 'no way things can move THIS quickly'.  I knew I wasn't THIS far along in the process yet.  I haven't even gone before the church (which will be June 3) to allow them to say "yes" or "no" in supporting me in this ordination journey. 

Even though it did catch me off guard, and I was pretty sure that a mistake had been made, it did cause me to see myself as clergy in plain black and white.  And I didn't run.  I stood there (metaphorically and physically).  It felt right.  Okay, saying that is pretty darn scary.... just as admitting that being a teacher was right for me all those years ago when I first started teaching. 

But, back to Annual Conference.... I really couldn't go if I needed to.  I am filling in for another pastor-- pulpit supply-- on June 10th.  Then, we made some family commitments for the latter part of the week, and there are swim meets, etc.  So, I did what any good candidate would do.  First, I sent my mentor an email.  Then, yesterday, I called my D.S. (District Superintendent) and told him about this packet I received and that it was for clergy registration.  He echoed my own thoughts and words as he told me I'm not that far along in the process yet.  Whew!!  Relief, along with a tad bit of disappointment.  He said I could disregard the mail, that a mistake had been made.

So, I'll disregard the clergy registration for this summer...... but if it's any sort of sign, maybe I'll be getting another one next year and I'd better block off that time and plan to be at Lake Junaluska.  Who knows?!?!  The awesome thing is..... God knows!!!  And, God is the One is charge!!

Who knew a piece of mail could cause my heart, mind, and soul to go a little wild?  Who knew it would come out in a blog post? 

This time it was a "false alarm", something to be disregarded.  Yet, it is still a "cause for pause".... at least for me. 

What in your day has been a "cause for pause"?  Did it turn out to be a "false alarm"? 

Blessings on your journey!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment