Friday, May 11, 2012

Thomas Merton quotes.... silence, solitude, and no idea where I'm going

I've come across two Thomas Merton quotes in two days now.  The first one was posted on the Shalem Institute's facebook page yesterday.

It was this: "Let me seek then, the gift of silence, and poverty, and solitude, where everything I touch is turned into prayer: where the sky is my prayer, the birds are my prayers, the wind in the trees is my prayer, for God is all in all."  ~Thomas Merton, Thoughts in Solitude

That caught my attention because of the words 'silence' and 'solitude' and how everything is turned into prayer. 

Today has been the first day in a very long time where I haven't needed to leave the house.  So, I've been reading The Theology of the Gospel of Mark by W.R. Telford for one of my classes, trying to fax my mentored ministry papers in to my other prof, and enjoying the beautiful coolness of this May day with the windows and doors open.  I've been listening to the birds tweet and sing and breezes rustling in the leaves in the background.  I've felt the gentle breeze blow through the open doors and windows.  I've wanted to hit the hiking trail, but I read better sitting than walking, so I've used restraint and have allowed Merton's quote to sink in a little today.

The second quote I found by Merton was on the front page of the syllabus for the class I'm taking fall semester (Introduction to Spiritual Formation). 

This one is also from Thoughts in Solitude:

"MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”  
This quote captures my attention today for several reasons.  I continue to live into the unknown, the questions.  I follow the next steps of what I see and attempt to be obedient and faithful in that.  Today, one of my next steps is meeting with the Staff Parish committee (SPRC) at my church, to go before them as someone seeking their support in pursuing candidacy in the United Methodist Church.  As a former Staff Parish committee person and even chairperson, you would think that this would be "a piece of cake" for me.   Just as being a former educator makes my role as a student that much more challenging at times, my roles on Staff Parish in the past cause this experience to be a tad more challenging for me.  Thankfully, all the candidates that came through in my tenure were good experiences! ☺  I remember those times fondly.  Even so, being on the "other side" is more daunting.  I think it's more daunting in part as Merton explains, "I have no idea where I am going.  I do not see the road ahead of me."  It is difficult to go before a group of people, to explain this calling you sense in your heart, mind, and soul... yet not be able to fully see where God is leading you.  But, hey, that's really God's deal anyway.  I'm just supposed to show up, be me (yep.... the real me.... ☺) and see what happens. 

Well, maybe I can get back to reading Telford on the Gospel of Mark now.  I have to finish that book, write the reading review on it, and write my final exam on Mark (two 3 page essays).  Then, my semester will be done.  Whew!  Then, I can start reading the 4 books for the July Academy session!

Baby step by baby step.....

How do Merton's quotes touch you today?

Blessings on the journey!

~Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment